Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thing 20

I have used various social networking sites. It has proven a great way to network with former schoolmates, co-workers and neighbors from former residences.
I have a Facebook page, which I don't use more than once every few weeks, but lately more of my librarian friends are on that. I don't understand some of the stupid gifts and games in it, but I think that keeps people coming back. I really enjoy the groups features, that help keep people connected.

This past few days I got together with a bunch of MSU librarians to try out Facebook. We took our Library Week Read pictures and posted them, with tags sharing who's who. I made some friends on it, and joined our new Fans of MSU Library facebook group. I've had some fun with Facebook this week, and I can see it as a better way of connecting to other professionals online.

My Myspace page is pretty boring, but I do play around with the themes and added a music widget with songs. I've gotten a few people who networked with me contacting me through the site. I am not convinced that the site is that great, but it has helped me find people every now and then.

Myspace seems much more teen oriented, with its bright and flashy interface. There isn't a lot to do there, and the dialogs I've seen on Myspace seem very juvenile. While Facebook isn't much better, it does seem like a slightly grownup version. If there was something with a little more practical links to things I need, then I'd probably use that instead. Until then, Facebook is the winner.

No comments:

Jonathan Coulton's Skullcrusher Mountain