Monday, April 14, 2008

Thing 15

Second Life is an awesome MMPORPG that has something for everyone. I loved the information island and chatted with several librarians there. Last year, I went to an online Second Life for educators conference (http://slbestpractices2007.wikispaces.com/) there, which was very popular and interesting. The only problem they had was some of the streaming video didn't work correctly for everyone in areas, and they had a limit of how many people could be in each area at a time, so you may miss things.

It takes some getting used to the controls for moving around, but I found that once you go through the tutorial it gets easier. I love flying around! My biggest pet-peeve is how commercial everything is. I get tired of all the things for sale, and the sexual nature of many areas. However, if you know where to go, seeing pyramids, castles and fantasy lands all for your exploring is a very exciting idea. I think as the technoloyg gets better, we will be able to use Second Life for more and more seamless educational experiences. It is definitely worth investing some time into.

No comments:

Jonathan Coulton's Skullcrusher Mountain