Monday, April 14, 2008

Thing 13

1. For productivity, I created an iGoogle page. I added all my widgets to help make it easy to get needed information without leaving the page, like weather, youtube, and even a digg widget. This was rather fun, but I'm not that used to it yet.
2. Calendars: I love all the Google stuff - everything I need in one place, and I don't need to create another account. I played around with the calendar, and I see that there is a feature I'm going to try tomorrow. I can sync my Outlook calendar with my Google calendar! I can't do this from home, but tomorrow, if I can get that to work, I could have it set up so I can do everything from anywhere! One feature I like is that I would be able to share this calendar, since I am unable to share my calendar with people outside of the library. This can help me combine my work calendar with my personal calendar.
3. Next, I tried the Remember the Milk productivity tool. I already use the calendar, tasks, and reminder tools in Outlook. However, I like how this will email you reminders for anything you set up. I think it is a great idea, although it seems like it would take a lot of time to set up before it begins to be useful. I'm going to experiment more with this in the next few weeks and see if I will really use this or not. I am expecting to just continue using my Outlook, but who knows?
4. Backpack is an awesome idea for having a calendar/file sharing/social networking and everything you need for working with a group online. The only problem is that it is a pay site. I am looking for a free option, so until then, we will have to be happy with what we have now.

Zamzar is a tool I've used online many times to convert files in the library. We had no budget to purchase software to convert these files in a past job, and having this site available meant I could help patrons do what they needed. A great, easy to use site, although sometimes it would take a while to wait for the file to convert so you could download it.

I have to say Lifehacker is one of my all-time favorite websites on making your life better. I have this on my other blog and I am always impressed by the many tips they post every week. Where would we be without Lifehacker?

No comments:

Jonathan Coulton's Skullcrusher Mountain