Sunday, April 13, 2008

Thing 10

I have used wikis many times before this thing. At my last job we used a wiki and a blog to share information between campuses. I created my own wiki on PBWiki, but I find I don't use that as much as I would like anymore.

I have looked at the Library Success: Best Practices Wiki and found it was full of lots of great ideas for all kinds of libraries. I will definitely come back to that soon.

For this thing, I went to the 23 Things on a Stick Wiki and edited it. The editing process was easy, but the wait for the system to finish saving it, took forever for some reason, but finally it saved. Very easy to use, although from looking at the advanced features, you can also use code to make it exactly the way you want it.

I think that the collaborative nature of wikis, makes wikipedia a bad choice for research purposes. However, I don't want to tell anyone that they can't use wikipedia for finding out background information before you start doing research. It usually does have mostly good information. Just like any source, you have to be aware of the author, and not having a definite author makes it much less credible than other sources.

No comments:

Jonathan Coulton's Skullcrusher Mountain