Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Thing 19

Podcasting was really fun to try. I listened to the NPR podcast since I've listened to that on the radio before. That was pretty cool, and I found out about brand new book information. I thought that it seemed much more convenient that having to drop everything to listen to the show live. Now I can just listen when it is a good time for me.

I looked through some of the directories and found podcast.net the easiest to get around in and to actually find podcasts of interest to me. I think that podcasts would be a great benefit to libraries to get material out to people who can't come to presentations live.

One of the things I tried was a video podcast called Diggnation, which has my favorite guy from old Tech TV Kevin Rose, who is also one of the founders of Digg. This is just a videotaped podcast where you can see everything that is going on and it is videotaped for an audience.

I am thinking about trying my hand at a podcast. I have another blog on LiveJournal that has a phone in podcasting type feature. It is rather cool as it also transcribes the text I submit via a phone. My LiveJournal account is paid, although, I'm a permanent member so I'm not sure what the monthly cost of this would be. I also have free RSS feeds for my page, so I think that would make it easy for sharing. If I can get this posted, I'll try to link it here.

Podcasting seems like a great way to reach out to busy library staff and patrons. It could be one more way to share information with people who already are listening to and enjoying podcasts.

No comments:

Jonathan Coulton's Skullcrusher Mountain